6.28.2010

A Savory Snack

Although squash are at it's peak summer through fall, surprisingly it's available year round.  

Butternut Squash Soup [03.10.2010]
 
















I suppose during the previous fall, I didn't get my fill of squash.  Unlike other years, it wasn't everywhere I turned.  When I just so happen to come across squash in March, I decided to make soup.  This was my second try at making butternut squash soup.  The first time, the squash flavor wasn't strong enough.  However, this time I prevailed.  I chopped the squash, tossed it with salt, pepper & olive oil and roasted it in the oven.  I pureed it in chicken stock with a couple leaves of sage and voila!  This turned out to be a wonderful savory treat on a chilly day after work.  It was warm and full of flavor.  It's texture was rich and creamy.  To put it over the top, I added toasted pumpkin seeds.  It added a wonderful crunch and a nutty flavor.  

I can't wait to make it again!

No comments:

Post a Comment