6.22.2010

Hom Sui Gok

Hom Sui Gok is a Golden Glutinous Rice Dumpling that can be found at Chinese Dim Sum.  Most that I have tried are savory, but still slightly sweet.  The ones that I were taught to make were strictly savory.  

The photo below was a landmark for me.  It was the first time I felt I had a true grasp on depth of field.   

Hom Sui Gok [02.14.2010]
I would make these savory treats every year with my grandmother, mom and aunt to celebrate Lunar New Year.  As with many family recipes, there were no exact measurements.  After my grandmother passed away a few years ago, it took a while for me to develop a written recipe that compares.  This year, they came out spot on.  However, next year I would like to add a small amount of sugar to the dough for a more golden brown color.  

The dough is made with glutinous rice flour, boiling water, salt, our secret family ingredient and dredged in sesame.  The filling is a mixture of ground pork, BBQ pork, mushrooms, green onion, dehydrated shrimp, soy sauce, oyster sauce, salt and white pepper.  After forming the dumplings, they are deep fried and delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment