9.02.2012

Pink Pearl Apples


Although it may seem just a touch early for apple season, the gorgeous pink flesh and tart flavor of Pink Pearls are only around for a few short weeks.  So, as the saying goes, it was time to strike while the iron was hot.  Of course I wanted to make something that highlighted the apple's amazing color...


I made a typical pate brisee dough (pie dough) and made a few individual sized tarts - half pink pearl and half a mixture of different plums.  Instead of muddying the flavor of the tart apples with the usual warm spice mixture, I decided to bake the tarts with a thyme infused custard.  (Don't get me wrong, I love apple pie - I just though that this was a little more special.)  As for the plum tarts, they were baked with a cardamom infused custard.


Although melons, plums and tomatoes are at their peak right now, I can't help but feel the fall produce season sneaking up on us especially on this Labor Day weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment