4.10.2012

Part II: Mendocino & More

The Chandelier  Drive-Thru Redwood Tree is just one of numerous places to get close to the Giant Redwoods of California.  I would like to visit others, but this is the closest.  The opening was carved in the 1930's and fits a mid-sized car fairly well.  However, I would be weary of trying to get an SUV through!


Chandelier Drive-Thru Redwood Tree, Leggett, CA

To try and wrangle me back onto my blog topic, I'll share with you my newest toy.  I had just bought the Olloclip lens attachment for my iPhone and couldn't wait to play with it on this road trip.  I absolutely love it!  It is a 3-in-1 attachment - wide angle, macro and fisheye.  On this post, you'll see a few fisheye photographs that capture the extensive views of California's natural beauty.

Amazing Scenery on CA Highways

That night, we had dinner at Mendo Bistro in Fort Bragg.  As I mentioned in my previous post, there were a few more culinary surprises to be had.  Dinner was decent, but what really blew me away were the house made sodas - we tried the Ginger and Honey Rosemary.  Both were refreshing and packed a punch of flavor.  The other surprise was the Candy Cap Mushroom Creme Brulee.  This was my first encounter with Candy Cap Mushrooms, and I promise it will not be my last.  They have an incredible aroma and flavor of maple with an earthy undertone.  I will definitely try and whip something up with these sweet little fungi in the near future! I am officially obsessed...

House Made Sodas & Candy Cap Creme Brulee, Mendo Bistro, Fort Bragg, CA

The next morning we headed to the Glass Beach.  Decades ago, the area around the beach was a dumping ground.  Overtime, the constant pounding of the waves polished pieces of broken glass into tiny shimmering pieces in the sun.  It takes a little patience to get to the shoreline with the rocky terrain, but I made it through.  As I was entranced picking through pieces of glass, which you are not allowed to remove, a giant wave snuck up on us.  Luckily I was wearing my favorite rain boots and Robert quickly pulled me up on a rock formation.  Rain boots were definitely a must on this trip - perfect on the beach, a mix of wet sand and rocky terrain, as well as for the muddy Redwood Forests.  My favorite pieces of glass were the blueish pieces, some of the harder ones to come by - so pretty!

Glass Beach, Fort Bragg, CA
Alas, it was time to head home - but not without a few stops along the way. First a stop at Cowlick's Ice Creamery for one last taste of Candy Cap, this time in ice cream form.  Next was the Corners of the Mouth Market in Mendocino, CA.  They have an amazing upstairs balcony with endless spices, dried herbs and tea sold by weight at very reasonable prices.  As we winded our way home, we decided to stop at Gowan's Apple Orchard in Philo, CA.  They were advertising Fresh/Unpasteurized Apple Cider, so we got a small bottle for the road and a half gallon to bring home.  I really wish we took home a whole gallon - the cider is so naturally sweet and refreshing.  They also sell a large variety of different apples and preserves, Lastly, in Cloverdale, CA, we hopped out of the car to take pictures of a logging company that could be easily seen from the road.  As we came into view of the Golden Gate Bridge, I was happy to be home and snuggle up in my own bed!

Corners of the Mouth, Gowan's Philo, CA, Cloverdale, CA, Golden Gate Bridge

No comments:

Post a Comment