10.09.2011

SoCAL Figs

Heart-Shaped Fig (photo by Dien Nguyen)

My friend Dien of I've Got Fashionitis was visiting her family in Orange County and she let it slip that her mom has a fig tree!  Dien and I have a common love for fresh produce, especially picking our own...but that's a story for another time.  

I put in a request for a few of these SoCAL figs and Dien delivered!  She even threw in a few wild guava (sorry no pics).  I was quite lucky that there were any figs for me because Dien's mom cuts the off the tree and throws them away so the crows don't come!  I almost died laughing when I heard that.



















The flesh of these figs were a vibrant reddish pink.  I used a few to make a vanilla fig syrup and macerated the rest of the figs with it.  I served it over a Greek Yogurt Panna Cotta.  It was a creamy, yet refreshing treat.

Thanks again Dien for flying home some figs for me!

1 comment: