7.25.2011

Mango Medley!

Buttermilk Panna Cotta with Mango [05.15.2011]






































Out for a snack with BFF Annie of ...Olive Juice..., she suggested that I try Mango Medley. It's a sort of hip Asian cafe with quite the extensive menu as well as a large dessert section.  We had a mushroom soup and both opted for the Mango Bliss - choice of base (buttermilk panna cotta, grass jelly, almond jelly or tofu-fa), mango ice cream, fresh mango and mango puree.  Yes, we both got the panna cotta base...


Although the dessert was amazing, we weren't sure if it made up for the 1 hour wait for our food.  So, I had an assignment.  My variation is a buttermilk panna cotta base with mango sorbet, fresh mango and passion fruit syrup. I used the buttermilk panna cotta recipe below and made my own sorbet from fresh mango.  The mangoes were so sweet and ripe, I only added a bit of water, lime juice and salt to fresh mango puree for my sorbet base.  After dicing the fresh mango, I assembled the dessert and drizzled it with passion fruit syrup for a sweet and sour kick.

When time allows, I would definitely return to Mango Medley.  However, my homemade version will work for now.

Buttermilk Panna Cotta
1c                Milk
3/4c             Cream
1/2c             Sugar
Zest of 1/2   Lemon
2 1/2 sheets Gelatin
1 1/4c          Buttermilk

Scald first 4 ingredients, steep 15 minutes
Bloom gelatin
Bring mixture back to temperature and add gelatin, dissolve
Strain
Cool over ice bath
When no longer hot, whisk in cold buttermilk
Portion, refrigerate until set (approx. 6 hours)

No comments:

Post a Comment